Sunday, December 20, 2009

Doctor Visit

On Thursday morning I decided that it was time to see my local neurologist. They got me in that afternoon. I wanted to show him my progress and also talk about CCSVI which I had heard about a few days before. It stands for chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency. I guess the theory is that there are blockages in the veins that don't allow proper drainage of certain substances and that this is the cause of MS. I admit that I haven't done a ton of reading about it but I'm curious enough that I wanted his opinion on it. He said it's just a theory but mentioned a study that is going on in Buffalo. I meant to get info about the study from him but forgot to. It's an interesting theory to say the least.

His nurse asked me how I'm doing in general after the chemo and I only had positive comments. She asked me why I thought that this treatment isn't availabe to everyone. She said that, in her opinion, the low dose, monthly chemo treatments aren't helping his patients. I told her that Dr. Balabanov said that treating MS with chemo in that way is like cutting hair. It makes it short for a while but it just grows back. She asked me to tell him that. I didn't since I had mentioned it to him before. I think he's quite skeptical about this.


During my exam I neglected to ask him if I could do the strength portion last. Once I exert myself it takes several minutes to get back to normal so when I was asked to run my left heel along my right shin I couldn't do it. I left feeling like he was none too impressed. I did say to him after the exam that I wished he could have seen me walking around the waiting room. Oh well. I got a couple of refills and made another appointment for 6 months from now.

Still no monthly period. My hair is growing out of control in all the wrong places but I have amazing energy, still. That's about it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment